By Kristy Woodford | Holistic Home Group
When it comes to selling your home, one of the most important decisions you will make is the real estate agent you choose to represent you throughout the transaction. The process of selling a home involves numerous forms, legally binding contracts, large sums of money and customs and protocols that can vary by state and region. It can get confusing, to say the least.
Choosing the right agent for you is of utmost importance. How do you choose? Should the agent be a friend? Should they be visible in the community through personal promotion? Should they have the most experience? Should they sell the most homes? Should you get a referral from a friend? The answer is that none of these considerations should determine your selection.
I recommend asking some if not all of the following questions to any agent you’re considering, even if they are a friend or a referral from a trusted source.
- What do you think makes my/our home distinctive and how will this influence the way you market it?
- What avenues will you use to market my home once it’s listed?
- How will you keep me informed after listing my home?
- What is your negotiating philosophy?
- How do you determine the best pricing strategy?
- Can you give me examples of when you sold a property for significantly more than other agents thought possible?
- What are the pros and cons of having open houses?
- What makes you and your company different from your competitors?
- Are you focused on selling more homes or selling homes for more?
- Do you provide staging guidance and, if so, what do you charge for this service?
Before you start interviewing agents, jot down your objectives. What are your goals in selling your home? Which goal is the top priority? Selling quickly? Earning top dollar? Not selling before you have an offer accepted on your next home?
What do you expect from an agent? How often do you want them to communicate with you? Do you expect them to hold an open house? If so, how often would you expect one? It is just as important to get clear with yourself about what you need and want as it is to get familiar with any agent you’re considering.
Once you know you want to sell your home, get ready to act. For more tips on getting ready and choosing your agent, request our free guide for home sellers by sending us a message through our website. And as always, you can reach me directly at 360-508-2800 or email@example.com.
Kristy Woodford is CEO of Holistic Home Group, which is affiliated with Keller Williams South Sound. She has over ten years of experience as a broker of residential real estate in Thurston County and leads a team of realtors experienced in serving local buyers and sellers.